Moulds are Fungi and produce tiny spores to reproduce, just as some plants produce seeds. These mould spores can be found in both indoor and outdoor air, and settled on indoor and outdoor surfaces.
When mould spores land on a damp spot, they begin growing and digesting whatever they are on in order to survive. Since moulds gradually destroy the things they grow on, you can prevent damage to building materials and furnishings and save money by eliminating mould growth.
The sustained and/or extensive growth of any visible mould on the interior surfaces of a building is unacceptable and a risk factor for health problems. Moisture control is the key to mould control. Moulds need both food and water to survive; since moulds can digest most things, water is the factor that limits mould growth.
Common sites for indoor mould growth include bathroom tile, basement walls, areas around windows where moisture condenses, and near leaky water fountains or sinks.
Common sources or causes of water or moisture problems include roof leaks, deferred maintenance, condensation associated with high humidity or cold spots in the building, localized flooding due to plumbing failures or heavy rains, slow leaks in plumbing fixtures, and malfunction or poor design of humidification systems.
Uncontrolled humidity can also be a source of moisture leading to mould growth, particularly in hot, humid climates.
Moulds produce allergens, irritants, and in some cases, toxins that may cause reactions in humans. Building occupants may begin to report odours and experience a variety of health problems, such as headaches, breathing difficulties, skin irritation, allergic reactions and aggravation of asthma symptoms. All of these symptoms could potentially be associated with mould exposure.