McMahon Services were contracted by BADGE to complete this roofing and cladding project within the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) base in Edinburgh, Adelaide. The project involved the supply and installation of new roofing and wall cladding to various new and existing buildings as part of the Defence Logistics Transformation Program.
This program is a significant infrastructure project which is delivering new and refurbished purpose-built facilities to modernise the Defence logistics network. Construction of this program commenced in December 2012, with the entire program scheduled to be completed progressively from late 2014 through to mid-2016.
The project required two 43ft scissor lifts, one 45ft boom lift and one 80ft boom lift, to complete the installation of wall cladding that was difficult to access, and a 130t crane was required to lift the roof sheeting. A mobile mill was also utilised to roll 24m and 35m length roof sheets on site, due to the limited work space. Coordination between the rolling of the sheets and the crane lifting of the sheets required extensive pre-planning, minimising the impact on the other works on the site.
McMahon Services supplied and installed roof and wall cladding to five new buildings. The scope of works included the following:
- Installation of roof cladding, totalling approximately 8,100 m2;
- Installation of wall cladding, totalling approximately 5,200 m2;
- Installation of eaves sheeting, totalling approximately 500 m2;
- Installation of approximately 20 skylights;
- Installation of backed insulation to roof;
- Installation of safety mesh to roof;
- Installation of box gutters and down pipes;
- Installation of rotary vents.
McMahon Services completed this project with a strong commitment to stakeholder requirements throughout, delivering an outstanding result with zero impact to the surrounding RAAF Base operations.