The West End Hyde Park project involves the closure of Swan Brewery in Western Australia and subsequent upgrade of the West End Brewery in South Australia to accommodate increased capacity and production. This includes upgrade of infrastructure and coordination of the shutdown works to accommodate the transition and upgrade.
McMahon Services were engaged by Lion to undertake the role of construction manager for the implementation of all Hyde Park project works for the upgrades and shutdown.
Scope of Work:
- Provide Construction management services for the delivery of the Hyde Park project.
The original scope included design and construction of:
- Concrete hardstand laydown area
- Filtration Room
- Port Road Façade
- Switchroom / MCC
- Cellar 4 workshop.
Additional works now include:
- Brewhouse roof removal and reinstatement to accommodate equipment removal and upgrade for the major shutdown outage
- Structural steel design and construct to accommodate new brewing equipment
- Demolition and removal of existing malt silo tanks
- Demolition / temporary removable penetrations of existing structures for equipment access
- Crane supply and coordination for removal and reinstatement of all new Brewhouse equipment on a 24/7 basis
- Civil engineering and design pad footing to accept new malt silos
- Electrical infrastructure upgrades
- Internal office and control room upgrades.
Changes to Scope of Work:
- When McMahon Services commenced on site, the new brewery and associated process equipment plant had been designed with equipment already on the way from Germany. As such, it was a case of “make it fit and make it work”. Therefore, many scope items were amended, changed or introduced as new to accommodate the decommissioning and removal of existing equipment and infrastructure and then the install and commissioning of new.
- Unknown and undetectable existing underground services (old pipes, redundant cellar) resulted in changes to design and structural modifications.
- The alterations in Brewing schedules and associated hazards (CO2 emissions) also resulted in design and operational changes in scope.
- Demolition, removal, disposal and reinstatement of new equipment while the current Brewhouse is fully operational
- Significant challenge of undertaking all works with no disruption to the brewing, packaging and distribution process
- Food and beverage operational environment
- Very tight, difficult access areas resulted in hand excavation works
- Unknown underground services resulted in hydro excavation to ensure safest method
- Introduction of new information / additional equipment requirements and unknown access all resulted in structural modifications
- Temporary building penetrations with removable access hatches were installed to accommodate unknown time durations for equipment removal and installation.
The Construction Management contracting model has provided Lion with a single point of contact to execute the wide range of projects across the entire infrastructure upgrade and shutdown. The Client Owner’s Team, made up of McMahon Services key personnel, Process Design Consultants and Lion representatives provides a steering committee that work collaboratively to demonstrate quality, value and best for project outcomes.
The Client Owner’s Team work to the following common objectives and outcomes agreed with the client:
- Program efficiencies (design & construct) able to allocate resources and plant to meet program
- Budget and management and effective allocation of CAPEX funds
- Procurement efficiencies and cost of construction
- Flexibility in defining and changing project scope if required
- Open / transparency
- Pre-purchasing of long lead items
McMahon Services have been working to Lion’s overall project budget and have demonstrated value on all individual projects coming under budget on all occasions. Lion has been very happy with our positive, responsive approach to the changing demands of the scope of work with our ability to act and respond in very quick timeframes with minimal fuss.
Our systems and processes have ensured very high safety standards and ultimately resulted in outstanding safety performance, which has been noted, commended and has set the benchmark for the remainder of the site.