Sturt Street Community School is situated in the South West sector of the Adelaide CBD. When recent storms battered the school, McMahon Services were called in to repair the damage. This project involved the restoration of six gables and gable ends that had deteriorated over time, including the restoration of finials to ensure structural integrity and safety.
The project scope included the following works:
- Site establishment -temporary fencing set up with delineation between the work zones and public interface, as the works were in close proximity of the footpath and entry to school;
- Delivery and erection of scaffold across the full frontage of the school, providing continuous access to the front work areas and additional safety to both public and students, with additional decks and shade cloth preventing anything falling from height;
- Crane lifting of gables and finials – our in-house crane services were utilised to assist with the removal and placement of larger members of the gables, eliminating the risk of injury to workers;
- Finial and king post replacement – main gable posts and finial’s required removal and replacement due to weather and rot damage;
- Timber reinstatement – timber members including decorative members required removal and replacement due to weather and rot damage;
- Timber repair – cleaning and repair of cracked and loose members, including gap filling;
- Painting – cleaning and repainting of all new and existing gable members, with weather and heritage colours;
- Roof tiling and flashing – reinstatement of broken tiles, ridge capping and mortar. New lead flashing applied along the gable ends protecting the last tile and timber junction;
- Stonework pointing – repointing of worn and missing mortar to stonework and brickwork
- Bird proofing – reinstatement of bird spikes to areas of gables, eliminating the opportunity for birds to perch.
Due to the height and access of the gable ends, the team erected a full scaffolding setup along the front of the school building, allowing the team to gain access to all three front gables, and still allowing safe access to the front entry of the school.
For the three rear gables the team erected a central scaffold on the existing lower roofs, allowing for safe access to the central part of the gables. Using an elevated work platform, McMahon Services were able to complete the lower end replacement of the gables.
This project was undertaken in school holidays, however the school was still running their school holiday program. Extensive processes were put into place ensuring the safety of staff, children and parents.
McMahon Services held weekly meetings on site with the school to communicate work zoning and communicating the plant and equipment movement for the week ahead, ensuring safety to all on site.
The McMahon Services team received excellent feedback from the client, further strengthening our working relationship.