Paxton Cottages comprise of 33 cottages in three terraces around Paxton Square. The attached two, three and four-roomed cottages were constructed by Cornish masons for the South Australian Mining Association, to encourage the mining families to leave their dugouts along Burra Creek. The first group of 14 cottages was constructed in 1849, with all 33 completed by 1851. By 1876, 161 people lived in the Paxton Square cottages.
The Mining Company auctioned the complex in 1912. The cottages later became low rent housing, and between 1983 and 1988 the Paxton Square Cottages were restored for visitor accommodation.
McMahon Services was engaged to undertake 2,200m² of heritage reroofing and veranda works to buildings on Ted Baulderstone Row and Andrew Gebhardt Row at Paxton Square Cottages. Products installed included Custom Orb 0.48 Z600 Heritage Galvanise Roofing, 125mm D Gutter Z600 Heritage Galvanise, 90mm round Z600 Heritage Galvanise downpipes, roll type Z600 Heritage Galvanise scribed ridge capping and Z600 Heritage galvanise flashings.
Flashing was applied to thirteen chimneys on Baulderstone Row and seven on Gebhardt Row. All barge and turn ups were folded onsite by hand. Breathable building wraps were applied to the roofs. Roof access was achieved through the use of elevated work platforms.
All flashing works completed on Paxton Cottages was undertaken to meet heritage guidelines and finished in traditional methods