McMahon Services were engaged by Ahrens Group to undertake bulk civil earthworks for the construction of the new Masters Hardware store, located at Parafield Airport.
The new store encompassing 13,500m2 is the first major project within the new designated Parafield Airport Precinct, which will comprise of the Masters Hardware store, Officeworks, car parking facilities and a new internal access road. The Masters Hardware store is still being constructed in line with their latest design, with a large paint department, tool shop and display of more than 36,000 products across 19 departments.
The site borders the fully operational Parafield Airport, which meant all works airside of the airport property required extensive pre-planning. McMahon Services installed stormwater, a new access track for emergency and security purposes, and also re-positioned one of the Parafield Airport security fences.
The project scope included:
- Bulk earthworks consisting of cut to fill totalling 20,000m3 – 15,000m3 of fill was transported and disposed off-site;
- Preparation for a three tiered concrete building plateau, including the installation of two layers of base material totalling 16,000m2;
- Preparation and installation of approximately one kilometre of stormwater, including headwalls and rock mattresses;
- Installation of kerbing, totalling approximately three kilometres;
- Installation of retaining wall steel posts and concrete sleepers totalling 350 lineal metres;
- Preparation using cement treated quarry material for the two concrete car parks, totalling 1,000m2;
- Bitumen car park construction, consisting of two layers of base material with 35mm, light duty and 50mm heavy duty bitumen area totalling 15,000m2;
- Preparation and construction of internal access road to DPTI standards, including base preparation and deep lift bitumen totalling 4,000m2;
- Installation of street lighting to internal road, totalling 700m and 13 light posts.
The McMahon Services team were required to strip the top soil across the 40,000m2 site, as well as the bulk earthwork excavations consisting of differing levels of the building plateau, car parks and roads. McMahon Services proposed and utilised the use of our Landplane, an efficient way for the team to accurately strip the top soil, without compromising the project timeline.