Intract Australia has taken another huge step towards becoming Australia’s leading indigenous enterprise.
On Friday 4th March 2016, Intract Australia Pty Ltd was awarded Joint Accreditation with McMahon Services under the Australian Government Building and Construction WHS Accreditation Scheme (the scheme).
Subject to certain financial thresholds, only builders who are accredited under the Scheme can enter into head contracts for building work that is funded directly or indirectly by the Australian Government.
WHAT IS DIRECTLY FUNDED BUILDING WORK?
Projects are considered to be directly funded where an Australian Government agency has responsibility for the project funding and development, for example a Defence facility, Medicare or Centrelink Office or a fit-out or refurbishment of existing Australian Government office accommodation.
The Scheme applies to projects that are directly funded by the Australian Government with a value of $4 million or more.
WHAT IS INDIRECTLY FUNDED BUILDING WORK?
- Projects are considered indirectly funded where an Australian Government agency contributes funding to a third party recipient, such as a state government, through mechanisms such as funding agreements, grants and other programs, for example road construction projects funded by the Australian Government or a new school built by a state government using funding provided by the Australian Government.
- The Scheme applies to projects that are indirectly funded by the Australian Government where:
- The value of the Australian Government contribution to the project is at least $6 million and represents at least 50 per cent of the total construction project value; or
- The Australian Government contribution to a project is $10 million or more, irrespective of the proportion of Australian Government funding; and
- The head contracts for building work are greater than $4 million (GST inclusive).
- This is a significant achievement for Intract as we continue to strive for excellence in the training and employment of Indigenous Australians.